Chris Hogan wants you to vote for yourself. No matter who ends up in the Oval Office, you can change your financial future. Hogan also offers his 10 Points to Progress. Other features include the Hear From The People segment (answers to email) and his 3-Point Takeaway. As a fun bonus, Chris reads Retire Inspired Poetry.
0:27 – WELCOME
2:05 – THE #VOTE4UAMERICA CAMPAIGN
16:38 – HOGAN’S 10 POINTS TO PROGRESS
1. BE A MONEY BOSS. Start each month with a budget, listing income and expenses.
2. HAVE A DEBT REDUCTION PLAN. Use the debt snowball approach: List all your debts then attack them from smallest to largest.
3. ESTABLISH AN EMERGENCY FUND. Be prepared for unexpected events (a car problem, home repair, hospital visit, etc.) by keeping an emergency fund on hand.
4. TAKE CONTROL OF YOUR SPENDING. Understand the difference between a want and a need. Set limits on spending, even if it means sacrificing your wants.
5. PLAN AHEAD. Look at the calendar and save money for upcoming expenses (holidays, travel, birthdays, etc.).
6. BOOST YOUR INCOME. Brainstorm ways you could earn extra money over the next three to six months (sell stuff you don’t need, have a garage sale, offer to tutor, etc).
7. GET A HEAD START ON COLLEGE. If you have children, start saving for college as soon as possible. You want to help them get an education without student loans. But don’t sacrifice your retirement fund in the process! Remember, kids can work their way through college.
8. PLUG IN TO THE COMMUNITY. Volunteer for events in your area or help out at your church. Make a list of 10 friends and tell them about R:IQ and Financial Peace University as financial discussions come up. When people change, their community does too!
9. KNOW YOUR PLAN. Retirement is not an age; it’s a financial number! Decide on your retirement dream, discover your R:IQ, and determine a plan to get to that retirement number.
10. KEEP THE RIGHT ATTITUDE. Progress is taking one step forward, one day at a time. Where you are now is the new starting point, so forget the past and start moving ahead.
26:25 – VIP ANNOUNCEMENTS
The second winner in the Retire Inspired Podcast Giveaway is announced. You have two more chances to win $250. Go to chrishogan360.com/podcast and subscribe to the podcast for your opportunity to win. No purchase necessary.
28:37 – HEAR FROM THE PEOPLE
Hogan reads listener emails:
A woman asks about Social Security and maximum benefit age.
A man wants to know more about Roth IRAs and 401(k)s.
32:59 – RETIRE INSPIRED POETRY
Hogan has fun with his gentle voice reading VIP retirement poems sent in by listeners.
35:39 – THE #VOTE4UAMERICA TAKEAWAY
Hogan gives his 3-Point Takeaway on how to activate change now so you can enjoy your retirement in the future.
43:27 – RALLY CRY WRAP-UP
44:29 – CALL TO ACTION
Don’t forget to enter the Retire Inspired Podcast Giveaway! There are two more opportunities to win $250. Go to chrishogan360.com/podcast. Subscribe to the podcast and enter your information. No purchase necessary.
Go to chrishogan360.com/riq to discover your R:IQ. While you’re there, click Dream Team. Then connect with SmartVestor Pros for investing help and ELPs for help with real estate, insurance and taxes.
Email us your retirement dreams or wins at email@example.com and Hogan may read them on air. Also send in any confusing financial jargon for Professor Hogan to define on the podcast. You can also write a review of the Retire Inspired Podcast on iTunes and subscribe to future episodes.
Chris Hogan kicks off the episode explaining how to calculate net worth. He also talks with guest Rachel Cruze about the importance of establishing good financial habits and talks about her new book, Love Your Life Not Theirs. Other features include the Hear from the People segment and The Takeaway: Complaining produces victims, but the right habits produce victories.
0:34 – WELCOME
1:49 – HOW TO CALCULATE YOUR NET WORTH
12:35 – VIP ANNOUNCEMENTS
The first winner is announced in the Retire Inspired Podcast Giveaway. You have three more chances to win $250. Go to chrishogan360.com/podcast. Subscribe to the podcast and type in your information. No purchase necessary.
13:42 – THE HOGAN SAVINGS CHALLENGE
Next week is National Save for Retirement Week. In honor of that, Hogan has thrown down a social challenge.
Pick one of the following challenge options:
1. R:IQ SNAPSHOT CHALLENGE
Discover your R:IQ at chrishogan360.com and click Dream Team to connect with a SmartVestor Pro to talk about your number.
2. HOME RESTAURANT CHALLENGE
Instead of going out to a restaurant, make a fun meal out of food already in your house. Dress the kids up as waiters and have them bring you the bill in a retirement envelope.
3. DRIVE BY, NOT DRIVE THRU CHALLENGE
How much do you spend at Sonic or Starbucks every week? Save that money this week and drive by instead.
4. CUT THE CABLE CHALLENGE
Cancel cable or streaming services for a month. You’ll be surprised how many channels you can get in HD with a cheap antenna.
5. TAKE A HIKE CHALLENGE
Tell an expensive outing to take a hike! Instead, go for a walk or hike with your friends or family.
The challenge ends when you take a fun social pic of your action and post it to Facebook or Instagram with these tags: #NS4RW @chrishogan360.
18:25 – GUEST CONVERSATION WITH RACHEL CRUZE
Chris and Rachel discuss financial habits and her new book, Love Your Life, Not Theirs. It’s now available at RachelCruze.com.
39:22 – THE TAKEAWAY
What new habits are you willing to establish so you can take your retirement planning to the next level? Hogan takes it up a notch and offers a three-point takeaway in this episode.
44:53 – HEAR FROM THE PEOPLE
Hogan reads listener emails:
50:22 – RALLY CRY WRAP-UP
51:31 – CALL TO ACTION